If You Get It, Pass It On

Racism and its accompanying evil white privilege make its doubly difficult for so many Americans to succeed. 

But special credit should be extended to all people who are able to rise above those severely limiting conditions. One such person is Jimmy Moss, who rose for homelessness and poverty to become a brilliant doctor. I'm honored to have spent a small amount of time as one of his teachers. 

More importantly for the future, Moss has become a direct inspiration for many others. Jimmy and all those he has touched in his life represent the America I believe in. I 'm going to let Jimmy tell about one of those times of inspiration here in his words.


14 years ago... 


Rashad Sullivan tapped on the door of the small room I was studying in. I was a first year medical student... and he was the bus driver for the teenage after school program (SSTRIDE) at my college of medicine. 


We talked a bit. He proceeded to tell me his desire to become a physician and then he told me about his past. 


His past? 


His parents were addicted to drugs. He previously sold drugs. He spent time in prison. He noted that he failed multiple college classes, was a single father and was currently studying for the MCAT, retaking his failed courses... and working as a bus driver to make ends meet. After the conversation, he never focused on his past anymore... he got busy focusing on his future. 


His future?


Despite having his “past” constantly held against him, he eventually graduated from medical school. Co-founded an organization with me called Youth Motivational Empowerment (Y.Me), where he and I went out and spoke at inner city schools and black churches- encouraging young black kids to become their best selves. He got married- his wife is also a physician. He had more beautiful kids. In light of all the racial discrimination he experienced during his training, he became a national speaker on Critical Race Theory in the field of medicine. Among other things, he has also mentored countless young men who too were in the streets, providing them a glimpse of what they can be ... if they focused their efforts more intently on their “present”. 


And his present?


Well, this past weekend, he graduated from his Orthopedic Surgery training program, one of the most difficult medical fields to get into... so I hit him up on his cell phone and we talked a bit.


As I was celebrating his accomplishments... he was simultaneously thanking me for opening the door that day ... 14 years ago. During his moment of success.. he was thanking someone else — a true mark of his character... the true reflection of a selfless leader. 


Congratulations Dr. Sullivan. I’m proud to call you my friend and my brother. 💯

Comments