On Battling Racism, I Promise to Do More




Thoughts from 

Kim Auger

Pennsylvania 


Today I participated in a public protest for the first time in my life. 

 

This is something I should have done long ago. 

 

I walked in peaceful protest to shout out to the world that Black lives matter. When you have laid down on the hot asphalt or sidewalk for 8 minutes and 46 seconds with your mask on and your hands behind your back, you get a small idea of what George Floyd experienced. And  my experience didn’t include having people on top of me or placing a knee on my neck. 

 

I have always hated racism and worked hard in this last year to understand micro-aggressions and begin to learn and make changes because of that learning. 

 

But now I have become anti-racist. 

 

I'm ready to witness and step in to say, "Stop. That Black life matters and you cannot do that." 

 

"Already I'm tired and I've only been truly awake for two weeks. I cannot imagine what it must be like to have dealt with this shit your whole life. I'm sorry for what my race has done to vilify Black men and women". 

 

I'm sorry that I haven't done more in my lifetime. I'm in a position to do more. I will do more. This is my promise. When I falter please remind me. I will say I'm sorry and learn from my mistake. And then I will do better. Thank you for your patience.
#Millersville



Comments