Running Should Come with Freedom from Fear


In America, black men (and women) should be able to exercise and job without fear.

Thoughts from

James Pierce

South Jersey


I went for a run this morning and had 3 more negative experiences with people that were not the same color as me. 


This happened without me ever saying one word and having my headphones on. All 3 were older men on foot. I continue to experience prejudice and racism just about whenever I leave my home. Running on Chestnut Avenue, at 7am, and they had the nerve to think I’d waste my energy on physically harming them. How foolish? 

"The stereotypes are ridiculous. WE DO NOT have a history of harming white people in America. White people have a history of harming us". 

They didn’t say anything. Their actions showed me what they thought of me. One guy had a small metal rod, and switched it to the hand closest to me as I ran by him and then switched it back once I passed him. I turned back to look afterwards. 

Another guy had a putty knife as he walked down the street. I looked up to smile and wave as I passed him and he held that knife up so fast you would think he just knew I was about to do something to him. 

The third guy pulled his phone out and pretended to either make a call or talk on the phone and immediately put the phone back in his pocket after I passed him. I turned back to look at him as well. 

I felt the tension/vibe from all 3, guys as neither of them cracked a smile back or seemed interested in saying good morning. They were ready for a confrontation though.

 

The stereotypes are ridiculous. WE DO NOT have a history of harming white people in America. White people have a history of harming us! Throw your prejudice out of the window. You were taught wrong!!


But anyway, I jogged 10 miles and walked 1.5 miles...this week. Feels good to be getting back to being healthy...

Comments