There's a Good Chance Your Child's School Won't Be Opening This Fall



Last month, I offered some bad news for megacity office workers: You’re probably not going back anytime soon. Today, I have to break it to the parents among them that I suspect your kid isn’t going back to school this year, either. Some of you already knew that, because your district has announced it will be 100 percent online. To the rest of you, let me explain why I think your district is going to follow suit.

Yes, I know that, under what appears to be heavy pressure from President Trump, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has revised its older, more conservative guidelines to urge schools to reopen, saying it will be “safe in communities with low SARS-CoV-2 transmission rates.” But that’s a description many states don’t currently fit. No matter what the CDC says, moreover, districts moving to in-person classes will face daunting logistical challenges, fierce resistance from teachers and even pushback from parents.

To keep reading this article, click here.

Comments